Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Digital Fluency Intensive Session 7 Devices

Another great week of learning about devices that can be used in schools. Dorothy asked us to reflect on the Kaupapa of the Manaiakalani Programme, leading into the first COVID 19 Lockdown. This was definitely an interesting time for all involved, particularly for me, as I had just been given a job at my new school - meant to start in person - didn't quite work out that way. I meet the children online through a google meet. The experience is definitely one I will hold as teaching memory. I felt incredibly lucky to be part of a school that was ready to deliver a great program of work at home. We were ready for ubiquitous learning! I was proud of the children, they were flexible, patient and they wanted to give everything a good go. They learnt so much within a short period of time - only being Year 3/4. I don't regret anything, I enjoyed lockdown and would feel comfortable if this was to happen again. 

Today we had to use different devices to feel and do what the children would. I believe you can't deliver a good lesson unless you feel comfortable around the technology you are using. 

Below is a copy of the google slides I worked through using a Chromebook. This was interesting to learn about lots of different shortcuts that can be used in the classroom. I will definitely be taking this digital dig back to my team and we will work on letting the children have a good at something similar. I am sure they will enjoy this. 

The next task was to use an iPad to use the different tools on Explain Everything. I had quite a lot of experience in lockdown using Explain Everything - I would use the iPad to present my screen so I could also see the children's faces while on a google meet. In class, we tend to use the iPad when children are videoing or presenting a part of their learning. Below is the first task set from today using Explain Everything. 

Our create task this week was to use the Manaiakalani Cybersmart program and present a lesson using either Explain Everything, Screencastify or Hāpara. I choose to use Screencastify, below is my video of instructions. I have also linked my google drawing of instructions. 

In Cybersmart last week our Year 4 children spent a lot of time playing and filming themselves on Screencastify. Our goal for the rest of the term is to teach our Year 3's how to use this great extension to present their learning. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Olivia, great create work you completed last week. How has it been implementing what you have learnt in your hub? Screencastify is a tool my class like to use. Although it took some time for them to be comfortable in recording themselves but we are getting there. See you tomorrow.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Amy. Digital dig - shortcuts have been great with the children. The new update on screencastify was a hit for the children in Paiaka - all 80 children can now successfully record a screencastify - winning!
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete