Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Digital Fluency Intensive Session 1 - Core Business


Today was my first session of DFI (Digital Fluency Intensive). This session was all about the Core Business of using digital technologies in schools and everyday life. I really enjoyed hearing from different people leading the program. Amy, my ‘Bubble Leader’ was super supportive when we got to meet with her in a smaller group setting. She was able to answer any big or small questions we had. Looking forward to session 2 next week.

One of the reasons why I was looking forward to attending the DFI course was to start to unpick and understand more about Manaiakalani as a whole - yes I have been working in a Manaiakalani school for 3 terms - but hearing the history of where it all started was an eye-opener! What a journey they have been on. Dorothy retold the story of how Manaiakalani came about, and I felt a sense of gratitude for these principals who met in November 2006 and decided to do something for this area of Decile 1 learners. The story has developed over fifteen years and has been a story of people who have aspirations, who are prepared to innovate, to collaborate, to provide evidence and to form partnerships of the sake of our young people. They are number 1! From the story of how Manaiakalani came about, one word strongly comes to mind, empower. The Manaiakalani pedagogy empowers not only the students but also the teachers and our community.

I learned today that could improve the workflow as a professional through effectively setting clear standards around organising my google drive and the children’s drive. I am a very organised person so I struggle when our team drive isn’t as tidy or organised as it could be.

Also, I feel when managing a group of people, i.e. when in charge of sport in your school - how easy using google groups is going to be. My school have been using it for communication of staff but also very simple to have set up for sporting events.

Using google docs with my learners will be great when structuring a piece of writing for them to be using headings, subheadings etc. clearly. I believe this is a great skill to teach the children - very handy - and I look forward to using this with my children. We tend to use google drawing for most of our activities or any today must do’s - I am looking forward to challenging myself, and my learners to try google docs.

Below is my google doc create task, (nothing special - just something to save me time when back at school) and this is the children’s literacy independent timetables. I have 3 reading groups and the children fill in the document on their Chromebook with what they will be doing during the week. They have different links to their Reading Learn Create Share, and also other independent tasks. All of these tasks are also on our Paiaka Google Site. Easy access for them!




4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Olivia, this is very in depth reflection of your learning from today. I can see you will be making use of what you learn in the DFI course in your practice. I too am very grateful for Manaiakalani and how it empowers our learners, teachers and community.

    Have a great week and see you for session two.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy - really enjoyed it! Looking forward to the rest of the course weeks.

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Olivia,
    The Manaiakalani Story really is a great one isn't it, each week we will share more about why we do what we do, I'm glad that it resonated with you.
    Great to see that you have already found ways to put what you learned today into practice. Awesome idea using it to create groups for sports teams!

    Nga Mihi
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Steph
      Thank you - I look forward to hearing more of the story.
      Olivia.

      Delete